Start the new year off with Chef Artemio’s healthy gazpacho featuring a blend of local tomatoes, cucumber, onions, peppers and garlic. Drizzled with olive oil and seasoned with freshly ground black pepper, this easy recipe is a perfect light and refreshing appetizer to enjoy with friends.
- 4 large very ripe tomatoes, cored and cut into small chunks
- 1 small cucumber, peeled, seeded, and cut into small chunks
- ½ small red onion, peeled and cut into small chunks
- 1 medium green bell pepper, seeded and cut into small chunks
- 1 medium red bell pepper, seeded, and cut into small chunks
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and smashed
- 2 tbs. basil.
- 1 ½ tsp kosher salt, plus more to taste
- 2 slices white sandwich, French, or Italian bread, crusts removed, torn into pieces
- 1 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for serving
- 2 tbs. sherry vinegar, plus more for serving
- Garlic chives
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Combine the tomatoes, cucumber, onion, peppers, garlic, bread and salt in a large bowl and toss to coat thoroughly.
- Let this mixture sit in the fridge overnight
- The next day, working in two batches if necessary, blend the mixture, slowly drizzling olive oil and sherry vinegar into blender as it blends.
- Strain this soup through a fine-mesh strainer into a large bowl.
- Season to taste with salt and black pepper.
- Serve by drizzling each bowl with olive oil, a few sprinkles of sherry vinegar, extra cracked black pepper, and chives.
Please note: Gazpacho can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.