Hands up if you have tasted our $5 ‘Matcha Plantation’ special at Juiced @ The Wicket this week!
Matcha is a stone-ground powdered green tea used in traditional Japanese tea ceremonies. According to the 8th century Zen priest Eisai, who introduced the tea to Japan, matcha is “the ultimate mental and medical remedy and has the ability to make one’s life more full and complete”.
Did you know that matcha has less caffeine than coffee but provides sustained energy for 4-6 hours versus 1-3 hours with coffee?
For those who haven’t tried our ‘Matcha Plantation’ yet, here are some more reasons why it could be worth joining the green party.
- It tastes amazing! Complex, rich, aromatic, astringent and with an alluring sweetness, matcha is many people’s first choice when it comes to choosing breakfast smoothie ingredients. And voila! We’ve already got one ready and waiting for you at the Wicket Bar for just $5.
- Rich in antioxidants! Matcha contains small amounts of various vitamins and minerals, but is most prized for being rich in polyphenol compounds called catechins, a type of antioxidant. Because matcha is made from ground up whole tea leaves, it’s a more potent source of catechins than standard green tea, which is consumed as an infusion and the leaves discarded. One study found that matcha contains three times more of the catechins called epigallocatechin gallate (EGCG) – an antioxidant linked to fighting cancer, viruses and heart disease – than other kinds of standard green tea.
- Promotes a healthy heart! A 2011 study in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition showed that the catechins in green tea had a significant effect on lowering LDL cholesterol. A 2013 Cochrane review also showed that regular green tea consumption was associated with lower blood pressure and an decreased risk of stroke.
- Boosts memory and concentration! Another side-effect of L-Theanine is the production of dopamine and serotonin. These two chemicals serve to enhance mood, improve memory, and promote better concentration – something that can benefit everyone!
- Makes your skin glow! The same antioxidants that make green tea protective, including epigallocatechin gallate (EGCG), may also help support skin health by reducing inflammation and free radicals that accelerate skin aging.
- Increases energy levels and endurance! While all green tea naturally contains caffeine, the energy boost received from matcha is largely due to its unique combination of other nutrients. The increased endurance from a bowl of matcha can last up to six hours and because of the effects of L-Theanine, matcha drinkers experience none of the usual side-effects of stimulants such as nervousness and hypertension.
- Burns calories! Drinking matcha green tea has also been shown to increase metabolism and help the body burn fat about four times faster than average.
- Detoxifies the body! High levels of chlorophyll in matcha not only give this tea its beautiful vibrant green colour, but also makes it a powerful detoxifier capable of naturally removing heavy metals and chemical toxins from the body.
JUICED @ THE WICKET MATCHA PLANTATION SMOOTHIE
matcha green tea powder
Coco Bluff Plantation coconut milk
Blend matcha, spinach, coconut milk, banana and ginger together and then sprinkle with bee pollen if desired.